Vision plays a significant role in life. It gives you a chance to live through various adventures and experience them with your own eyes. But, what if someday you find yourself struggling to perform daily tasks due to blurred vision? In such cases, you would often find yourself relying on corrective eyewear like glasses or contact lenses. However, it shouldn’t always be the only solution to the problem.
Laser epithelial keratomileusis (LASEK) helps with vision correction. It treats your eyes in the case of myopia, hyperopia, or astigmatism. It is one of the most effective and safe laser eye surgical procedures and branches out from Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK).
Today, you will learn more about LASEK and its benefits, and the differentiating points between LASEK and other surgical eye procedures.
What Is LASEK Eye Surgery?
If you want complete freedom from glasses or contact lenses, LASEK eye surgery can certainly help you in that regard. If you have nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), or astigmatism, you can opt for LASEK. Essentially, this surgical procedure combines the benefits of two other popular eye procedures – LASIK and PRK. LASEK eye surgery allows the light to fall on the eye with a better focus on the retina, giving you a clearer vision without glasses or contact lenses. Since it has plenty of advantages, most patients with vision problems choose LASEK, and more often than not, find themselves independent of corrective eyewear.
Before you understand the benefits of LASEK, you need to learn more about the procedure. In short, LASEK eye surgery uses several techniques, such as the application of alcohol for 30 seconds for detachment from the underlying tissue, to retain the much thin corneal surface layer of cells or the epithelium, which helps with the recovery of the cornea after the surgery. The exposed tissue during the procedure gets operated on with LASIK or PRK, thus benefiting you in every way.
Benefits of LASEK Eye Surgery
Much to everyone’s contentment concerning surgical eye procedures, LASEK eye surgery offers advantages that make you confident to follow through with it. Since cornea recovery remains vital in any given eye procedure, LASEK uses several methods to make sure it is smooth and quick. Considering LASEK eye surgery’s growing popularity, you must know why.
Therefore, the answer to your question lies below, and you can learn more about the benefits of LASEK eye surgery and how it can help with vision correction altogether.
- You can avoid all the complications associated with cutting and reattaching the corneal flap, such as the case that remains with LASIK.
- You will find LASEK laser eye surgery to lower the frequency of dry eyes, as is the case with LASIK eye surgery.
Comparison: LASEK, LASIK & ReLEx Smile Eye Surgery
Not unlike LASEK, LASIK and ReLEx SMILE surgery help correct vision problems. All of these eye procedures can potentially reduce the dependency on corrective eyewear like glasses and contact lenses. Moreover, they provide safety and effectiveness with relatively quick recovery times. Since you cannot predict or gauge the extent of eye damage, your ophthalmologist will help determine that and walk you through various options, establish feasible expectations, and eventually narrow down on the best-suited procedure for your eyes. The benefits and process of LASEK, LASIK, and ReLEx SMILE surgery can overlap and even have some distinguishing features the eye doctor’s job rather more critical.
Hence, you need to ask the right questions and get satisfactory answers before you go through with laser eye surgery. After all, your vision will remain one of the most vital aspects of your everyday life. So, to help you understand more about LASEK and other laser eye surgeries, you will find the advantages of all of these surgical eye procedures mentioned below.
LASEK Eye Surgery
- Another form of laser eye surgery, LASEK, involves separating the epithelial part of the cornea and the stroma.
- People with thin corneas can opt for LASEK eye surgery.
- After LASEK eye surgery, the recovery time is lesser. It allows you to return to contact sports without distressing about the displacement of the corneal flap.
- If you have dry eyes or corneal scarring, you can opt for LASEK eye surgery.
- Some studies and researches suggest that 90% of people who undergo LASEK achieve 20/40 vision or better.
Read More: Benefits and Advantages of LASIK Eye Surgery
LASIK Eye Surgery
- After LASIK, around 96% of patients get their desired vision level.
- Numbing drops used during LASIK cause very little pain.
- You will receive the desired results almost immediately or by the day after LASIK.
- After LASIK eye surgery, you do not need bandages or stitches.
- If vision changes due to age, you can get your vision adjusted even years after the surgery.
- The dependency on glasses or contact lenses reduces considerably, and sometimes patients do need them at all.
Read More: Benefits and Advantages of LASIK Eye Surgery
ReLEx SMILE Surgery
- The newest advancement in laser eye surgery, the ReLEx SMILE procedure, involves a femtosecond laser to make a disc-shaped cut inside the stroma.
- ReLEx SMILE eye surgery is less invasive and requires the use of only one laser.
- The ReLEx SMILE eye surgery can treat higher myopic refractive errors.
- The risk of dry eyes lessens since fewer corneal nerves get severed in this procedure.
Read more: Benefits and Advantages of ReLEx SMILE Surgery
The need to treat vision problems at the earliest remains paramount. Moreover, if LASEK allows you to function without glasses or contact lenses, the more beneficial it is to you. It reduces the hassles in your routine life and allows you to see better, thus becoming a win-win situation for you. Apart from lesser complications and lowered frequency of dry eyes post-surgery, you can benefit plenty by opting for LASEK eye surgery. That said, you cannot understate the significance of a certified and qualified ophthalmologist. He/she can offer you their expertise and knowledge and address your concerns.
In that regard, if one day you opt for LASEK eye surgery or other laser eye surgeries in Pune, the doctors at Dada Laser Eye Institute can offer you their expertise with the best eye care services for people from all over the country. LASEK eye surgery, LASIK eye surgery, ReLEx SMILE surgery, bladeless cataract surgery, Glaucoma treatment, and more are only a few of the expert eye care services offered here. So, if you suffer from vision problems or need an eye checkup to make sure you have no vision problems, book an appointment with the expert ophthalmologists at Dada Laser Eye Institute, Pune. You can give us a call at (+91) 992 299 5549 or visit our website for further information.